Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Nothing Ever Goes As Planned




This diagram looks easy enough, right?  It probably even is just as easy to do as long as you don't live in a 100 year old house owned by a man named Murphy.  The problem with an old house is the previous occupant is often nearly as old.  That is the truth in this case & she didn't really believe in that new-fangled  idea of regular maintenance.  Often in this house, to fix one thing you end up having to fix half a dozen others. Then of course there is Murphy's law playing out in full chorus here.

I had to change the faucet today, never mind I'd done it less than a year ago.  Some how the thing got clogged & barely let any water pass.  It came off easier than the last time, which involved a hammer, a screw driver & some serious bashing.  Going back together, now that was another story.  

The shut-off on the sink is useless, so I have to do it outside.  I follow the diagram & put the faucet back in.  I fasten it down & attach the water connections.  I go outside & turn on the water.  Viola, my very own fountain in the bathroom under the vanity.  (I hate vanities, give me a shelve style sink or a pedestal, something that allows you to get to the plumbing easier.)  I run back out & shut off the water.  Come back & find out the cold water connection has a faulty washer.  I lucked out & had one of those in the house.  A trip to the hardware store averted.

In the end, the faucet is fixed sans  fountain.  It just proves the jobs that should be the easiest are usually the hardest & most annoying.


No comments:

Post a Comment